Thursday 17 November 2016

A return to adventures in OpenStack-land

So... OpenStack....

I'd dabbled with it some time ago, using both https://www.rdoproject.org/install/quickstart/ and Solaris 11, and i'd pretty much written it off as meh I can do that with zones and zfs *much* easier in my sleep. As ever in life, better engineered quality loses out to popular and cheap every time and its undeniable fact the future is linux and OpenStack for cloud anywhere that you aren't using AWS (wish they'd release that!).

I briefly investigated alternatives to OpenStack that were more AWS like such as Eucalyptus (which is even less simple to setup than OpenStack!) but frankly, the designed by committee mess has won already.

Here's a recount of my findings and personal opinions.

  • Ubuntu 16_04,MaaS and JuJu - this appears to be a total no brainer. Ubuntu, MaaS (Metal As A Service) which is awesome, and Juju as an orchestration tool. Coupled with lxc/lxd and zfs this just screamed pick me to a Solaris refuge as all the goodness I love is here. Shame it just doesn't work. Until they fix it the simple advice is avoid like the plague - when they do, this is the only sane choice.
  • RedHats RDO initiative - https://www.rdoproject.org/install/quickstart/ - this is the earliest effort I know of to get an easily configured and working OpenStack install, its not perfect, its not fast, its not really great, but it does work. If you need a play around this is the only usable option on linux.

I *really* had to stop myself throwing Solaris on the box (Oracle's licensing and patch stance since the demise of Sun being the number 1 reason not to) and using its OpenStack install that just works and gives native ZFS and Zones.

Shame when linux software runs better elsewhere!

No comments: